I have chosen to focus my Unit of Work on Year 4 Mathematics using the content descriptors from both the ‘Number & Algebra’ and ‘Statistics & Probability’ strands of the Australian Curriculum – Mathematics.
Students will… (Constructing Knowledge objectives/content descriptors from the syllabus)
- Investigate number sequences involving multiples of 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9 (ACMNA074)
- Describe possible everyday events and order their chances of occurring (ACMSP092)
Students will be able to… (Transforming objectives / content descriptors from the syllabus)
- Develop efficient mental and written strategies and use appropriate digital technologies for multiplication and for division where there is no remainder (ACMNA076)
- Construct suitable data displays, with and without the use of digital technologies, from given or collected data. Include tables, column graphs and picture graphs where one picture can represent many data values (ACMSP096)
The Criteria used for assessment (from the syllabus) will be:
- Accurate and efficient recall and use of facts, definitions, technologies and procedures to solve problems
- Connection and description of mathematical understandings in a range of situations, including some that are complex unfamiliar
- Systematic application of problem-solving strategies to investigate a range of situations, including some that are complex unfamiliar
- Modelling and representation of a range of situations, including some that are complex unfamiliar
By the end of Year 4, students choose appropriate strategies for calculations involving multiplication and division. They describe number patterns resulting from multiplication. They describe different methods for data collection and representation, and evaluate their effectiveness.
They recall multiplication facts to 10 x 10 and related division facts. They continue number sequences involving multiples of single digit numbers. They convert between units of time. Students create symmetrical shapes and patterns. Students list the probabilities of everyday events. They construct data displays from given or collected data.
I still have a long way to go in refining and completing this assessment task but this is my starting point.